One of our favorite things to do at HireVue when we are giving a tour is to take visitors to the breakroom. Most visitors expect your usual boring breakroom with a fridge, a soda fountain, and a few snacks.
So when they see our kitchen (come on, it's really a fully stocked kitchen, not a breakroom), they are always pleasantly surprised. Food is in abundance, smoothies are being blended, burgers are grilling, and team members are socializing. It's a pretty impressive scene.
As you may know from our other posts, we like food, we have lots of food, and we consume large quantities of food. So our expectation that there should always be food in the office is constantly nourished. If you see the food start to dwindle, you know a Costco run is on the horizon.
Here at HireVue we rely heavily on Costco to stock our breakroom with the food and fuel to keep us going. We even have a dedicated team - The Vue Crew- to frequently keep the shelves stocked.
However, the food scene has changed over the past few years as we have grown as a company.
Let's look back on how Costco trips were handled a couple of years ago:
- Back in 2010 the Costco trips would be random supply/coffee runs
- The team usually consisted of two or three people
- The trips would happen about once a month
- In late 2013 the Costco trips became large enough that we would push the shopping carts into a enclosed trailer, drive to the office, unload the carts in the breakroom, and then drive the carts back to Costco
- We used to go on such large trips that a team of six was needed
- John Grotegut was officially uninvited because he grabbed too many snacks. :)
What Costco Trips Look Like Now:
- We have our super star Vue Crew- Jaron, Evan, Lindsey, and Terra
- We go twice a month to stock the break room
- On average a Costco trips takes about 1 hour to drive, shop, check-out, and drive back
- We buy around 160-190 bulk items each visit
- It takes one flatbed and three or four carts to hold all our food
- We fill a bed truck and a car full of our goodies
- Some of our favorite snacks in the office are- yogurt, mini cinnamon rolls, beef jerky, Redbull, and nuts
- Our awesome team members always pitch in and help unload all the food
A big thank you to our Vue Crew who takes time out of their day to stock the office. We appreciate all you do!